18 November 2009

11:01 PM – Tuesday night:

Mimi caught a giant rat (about ¼ the size of her own body), came into my room with it hanging out of her mouth, paraded it around my room, then proceeded to climb through the open door of the bookcase, with it still in her mouth, drop it, play with it, then torture it to death. I had almost forgotten what it was like living with outdoor cats. Good thing the only shoes I have with me are sandals...


- - -

12:30 pm - Wednesday afternoon:

So, she seems to think I'm her mother or something. That rat from last night.
Yep. She found it again after I had tried to dispose of it in a forest ditch back behind the house. Not only did she find it again, she brought it back into my room and decided to eat it for lunch...not inside the bookcase, not over in a corner of the room, not at the foot of my bed, but yes, she decided it would be best to enjoy her dead rat lunch directly in the the location of the room that is up against the mosquito netting that is the closest to my head...!

Hmmm. Good thing I brought some eucalyptus oil.

Kinda wishing I had been a cat in that moment, so I could have fully been the proud mama MiMi was seemingly seeking from me.

Instead, I just scooped up what was left of the rat and buried it in the compost pile.

There's never a dull moment 'round here.

1 comment:

  1. Michele here - Just a comment to let you know I really like reading these inspiring posts - I have a feeling mine would read "Heat! Bugs! Heat! Bugs! *tiny moment of mindfulness* Heat! Bugs! RAT IN MY ROOM Aaaaaa!" I think it is awesome how well you are processing your amazing new environment. :)

    ReplyDelete