09 January 2012

Have you ever heard this phrase?

Anything worth doing, is worth taking the time to do it right.

Do I sound like your mother or father? Perhaps. That's exactly who I heard this phrase from the first (and second, and elevendy millionth time!) ...and, I guess, I haven't *really gotten* it, till just now.

Being who I am, (and having operated this following way most of my life), I am a strong believer in the merit of trial and error, experimentation and just jumping in head first and exploring something. This is how I play. This is how I learn. This is how I enjoy life.

However - AND - I get it now. I get what this means, to step back and examine the things in my life that are worth putting a significant amount of my time and energy into. And then, to take the time to become intentional about what it is I'm doing and how. Sometimes for efficiency sake. Sometimes for my own health and well being. Sometimes just for the sheer joy of it. Always, because these are the things in my life that are truly important to me. And, if they are important, I want to honor and recognize them. I honor and recognize them by taking the time and energy to figure out how to do them well, and remaining open to constant change and improvement.

For example, the "things" I'm thinking of here (tonight) are: 1. Cooking - holding my kitchen knife in a way that supports the ongoing health of my wrist (I'm gonna need that for a future career in massage...), and learning how to use it more efficiently so my mediocre chopping skills can become uber-awesome chopping skills of madness! (Ok, maybe not totally necessary in this lifetime, but I'm always open to further improvement!;)  2. Studying. Time management. 3. Relationships.

 * - * - *

So, I started writing this post earlier this evening, with the intent to come back later tonight to refine it, flesh out some more details and complete it. But, alas, I am completely knackered now. So. Here it is. Perhaps I'll come back to it later, perhaps not. I think it captures all I really wanted to express anyway. Hmmm...this writing something every single day certainly has it's unique challenges.

Kinda like speed drawing.

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of thinking carefully about what you want to put your time and energy into! I'm doing the same thing over here, too (oddly, training has the effect of helping me think about that sometimes). Sending lots of love and good thoughts your way as you continue onward...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Lotsa tonsa love and good thoughts sent your way too. Thanks for your feedback and support here. I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete