02 January 2012

Solstice aspiration:

I'm not generally a huge fan of "new year's resolutions..." I don't necessarily feel a strong resonance with the arbitrary "1st of January" signifying a new year or annual fresh start. I *do* however, feel a strong resonance (literally and symbolically) with the solstice, and the cycles of the earth. The winter solstice is the time which I consider to be my "new year" and opportunity for new beginnings. It is the time to honor the cycles of death, darkness and inner reflection as well as a time to celebrate the return of the light. If I have a "resolution" this year at all, I would call it a "solstice aspiration". Inspired by other writers in my life, and aligned with my own strong desire to express myself more regularly and share the happenings of my life with *you* on a more consistent basis, my aspiration is this: I intend to write, publicly, every single day, for the next year...even if only just one word.

This is the place where it will happen.

I'm feeling like I'm already off to a good start.

(This last year's winter solstice occurred overnight, from Wednesday, 21 Dec - Thursday, 22 Dec. This was the longest night of the year, and brought with it the transition into longer days. Though I have not been posting publicly since that day this time around, I *have* written *something* every day since then...and intend to keep writing here, now, for the next 364 days...)

4 comments:

  1. YAY!! I *love* this idea, and can't wait to read your posts, however many (or few) words they might contain!

    I, too, will be posting more often, as I have an audacious goal that I'm working toward this year. So please do feel free to wander over and read whatever I've put up. In the meantime, much love and huge hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your blog and all the good intentions of the New Year. I'll be checking in and hope to read all about your adventures in Portland.
    I just spoke with my boss and announced my retirement -- so now I guess it is real. It feels a little scary (I have not been without a paycheck for 40 years). But also liberating. I think the whole point of freedom is to be a little scary -- otherwise it's just fake freedom.
    Keep in touch; I'd really like to hear about your classes. I have siogned up for a class myself, wood working, and I'll trade you tips on routing bits for tips on pressure points. Maybe this will be a year for learning -- and that would make 2012 a fine year indeed.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing Triathlete Extraordinaire! - I miss you! Thanks for your words here! I look forward to reading more about what's been going on in your life too! Blessings and love to you, amazing one!

    Gary: Thank you. And, congratulations on your retirement! I imagine that feels like quite a relief! Now your life can begin! :) ...right? And, that trade you offer sounds pretty fantastic, I may take you up on it. ;)

    And, as for this year being a year of learning, indeed, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen and I just got back from our regular morning walk. We make a brisk circuit of the Independence Park neighborhood. We meet at 5-6 a.m. mostly dog walkers.
    A greyhound is a very narrow dog. Ellen said the greyhound we saw looked "elegant". I think that elegant is in the eyes of the beholder.
    In the modern era, this era of plenty, when people have enough and more than enough to eat, then overweight is commonplace, vulgar. Thin is elegant and fat is unhealthy. But in ancient times with poor food supply, in the era of want, thin was commonplace and fat was considered healthy -- even voluptuous.
    Humanity! Fickle as ever...........

    ReplyDelete